Friday, December 26, 2008

What a question posed

So yesterday I had my boys with me for 3 hours and it was great to be with them.

I decided to take them for some ice-cream, during the drive there; my 4 year old son nearly knocked me out with those innocent, hard driving questions that almost had me choke... "Daddy, are you still my dad? Why don't you stay with us anymore?"

How do I respond to this... one of the first things that went through my mind was that letter her lawyers sent stating I should not discuss the divorce with the kids or they will take legal action... STUFF that, they deserve to know...

But he is 4, where is that "how to" manual when you need it? My 13 year old anxiously looked over at me with a look of nervous fear all rolled into one… All I could say was that I can’t stay there anymore but that I do want to be with them all the time. I do love them a lot and I will always love them and will always be their father…

The ice was quickly broken when he promptly responded… “Oh, if you leave Granny’s house; staying with my mom again; she will be sad hey, maybe you should stay and look after her”

I did not know if I should laugh or cry! It is amazing how as adults we tend to warp the innocence of our children by our mistakes… I am pledging to remain honest with them no matter how difficult and will be living my life as an example of integrity for them. I love you boys, always will, no-one will change that!

No comments:

Post a Comment